Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Politics

I have never been involved in politics.  Growing up I never followed along because in my eyes it was a bunch of glorified bickering.  Now that I'm able to vote I felt it necessary to get more involved and start listening to talk shows and watching CNN for the candidates speeches.  From what I am gathering my views as a child were spot on.  No candidate has said anything revolutionary, no specific goals or ideas, just basic goals like "get our nations economy under control".  I already knew that but I need to hear someone layout specific plans and ideas with some numbers or something to know that a good amount of thought went into the planning.  Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about because I have only been listening to this stuff for about a month but it seems to be pointless.  If anyone has any explanations to why political debates and speeches are useful please let me know because my view now is that every politician says what the people want to hear but when it comes time to get things done they ultimately do what they think is going to work, not what the people think is going to work.   

1 comment:

Soggy Bloggy said...

I think it is very important to be involved in politics and understand and establish position on the issues. The debates are necessary for the candidates to publicize in a formal setting what each one believes and plans to do once in office. Personally, I enjoy watching the debates because not only can I hear what each one thinks on the issues, I like observing how each one speaks. I tend to think more highly of the candidate with the better speaking skills. I tend to like the one that presents his information best. My two favorites during the primaries were Romeny and Guiliani. Superficial, sure, but they made me like them because of how personable knowledgeable the came across. Of course the most important thing to me is the stance on issues, but I want my President to be well presented and look and act his position as well. The debates are the best opportunity for me to observe the candidates on both the issues and the way they come across to voters.