Thursday, November 20, 2008

My new plan

I have been struggling ever since I got to college to figure out what exactly I want to do with my life.  I know it's early and I have the rest of college and then more years after that to figure it all out but I like to have a plan and I understand that plans change.  So over the past few months I started questioning what I thought I could do everyday for the rest of my life and this is what I came up with.

I started off by eliminating a 9-5, I know everyone says that but I honestly believe that I would kill myself if I ended up pushing papers for a major corporation, its just not for me.  That was the main reason I switched majors from business to engineering, corporations just aren't the destination I'm looking for in life.  

So I picked engineering because I was good at physics in high school and I enjoy watching shows like "Megastructures" on the discovery channel and when I read on the plane I read car magazines such as "four wheeler", an magazine dedicated to off roading vehicles.  

"Hey, maybe I'll do that, build cars for the rest of my life."  But I thought about it and the fact is that I like reading those magazines because I want those cars for myself. I would have a difficult time putting my heart and soul into a car just to turn around and sell it.  Custom car fabrication might be a hobby of mine later in life but not a job so I moved on to some different ideas.

I talked about it with my dad over fall break and he stated a very simple question that completely changed the way I looked at my future life.  He asked me "what do you enjoy the most in your life?"  I thought about it and I stated the most obvious answer I could think of, "I enjoy spending time with my family and friends."  So he said, "what's something you can do that makes you money while being with friends and family?"

I couldn't answer that question fast, so I took some time to think it over.  However, by the time fall break was drawing to a close I came up with it, I'm going to open a bar.  It's the perfect solution.  My mom can cook, my dad runs his own business already so he can help with the books, and my friends and I could run the bar ourselves.  I would have no problem waking up if all I had to do during the day was hang out with my friends while serving drinks and food all while meeting new people and hearing their stories, its sounds like a great life to me, and the best part about it is I can be my own boss which has always been my dream job.  

1 comment:

Lori Ann Stephens said...

Sounds like a fun job--but also a lot of work and preparation. Two friends of mine opened a bar together in North Texas for the college students, and it was so successful that they've opened a second bar.I'd suggest you choose a location that has a large clientèle--a college town is a great location.